Thanks for visiting my blog, you can join me by subscribing

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Rediscovering old authors

I really do live in the 21st century, at least most of the time.

But I also love my jaunts into the past--at least before humanism took hold of our culture. There was always vice and sin, but it was not published and flaunted as it is today. Most folks would have blushed in shame to even speak of some of the things that were done without any remorse in our Oval Office!

But the so-called "classics" that have survived and are being sold in stores are not necessarily the "cream of the crop". With my study of the McGuffey readers, and others like them, I am rediscovering some wonderful treats, which I can then find through avenues such as Internet Archive, which has collected listings of all sorts of scanned and digitized books from the past.

Here are a few of the authors which I have uncovered:

Thomas Hughes


Frank R. Stockton


Grace Greenwood, especially her Records of Five Years

And currently I am reading the novel, The Foresters, by John Wilson. This book is so explicit with Christian sentiment and thought, and it is of a family that reads the Word, sings hymns, and prays together more than once a day! And yet, it is very interesting and full of human pathos. I would highly recommend it!

0 comments :

Post a Comment