Thanks for visiting my blog, you can join me by subscribing

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Some really good books!

There are three books that we've checked out of the library that have caused our house to buzz with all sorts of history discussion! For at least a fortnight I was being presented with a new discovery every time I turned around!

For instance, I didn't know the United States had a president before George Washington, or that the Eiffel Tower was almost razed by the Parisians, or that the man who created television wouldn't let his own son watch it, or that President Lincoln was an inventor, did you?

These books are great for those children who are not that interested in history, or who have had the subject ruined by "textbooks" or who just need something to ignite their own desire to dig deeper and find things out for themselves...


Besides these, I have stumbled upon some nicely illustrated fairy story books that I have been reading to my little girls. My favorite so far is Papa Gatto, which is my favorite because the sweetest young maiden is not the pretty one, but the plain one. 

I also checked out The Enchanted Wood and The Twelve Dancing Princesses, also by Ruth Sanderson, but we haven't read them yet...I try and spread these treats throughout the week!

Jean Fritz is another author I am investigating. She has written numerous books about American history, and our current is Around the World in a Hundred Years. Although her books are not overtly Christian, she does diminish Christian influence but makes sure to mention it. She is also an engaging writer, and the illustrations in this book are very interesting.



I have always loved Alice Dalgliesh' The Courage of Sarah Noble, so I was so excited to find a number of other books by her at our library. My early readers are very happy to find these--they do mention the Bible and the Christian lives of the historical characters--so very wonderful to have a young child read about history and become encouraged at the same time!



I don't currently have an Amazon affiliation, so don't feel pressured to buy on Amazon, unless you don't have a good library near you. You could try and find these titles on Paperback swap, if you do not have any cheaper way to go.

I like to share good books I find because there are so many awful ones out there these days, and my creative self needs to find new and wonderful titles! We are so blessed with a library that allows me to reserve these books online and then just go and pick them up! Thanks be to God!

What sorts of good books have you found lately?

0 comments :

Post a Comment